Okay I kinda broke my ‘buy no more than two books every month’ promise, but I had some extra money to spend, so I bought myself a nice Christmas present. In total, I bought six books, though one of them was a gift for someone else (so it’s not on the picture, obviously).
- The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien – I already owned The Two Towers and The Return of the King in Dutch (or well, they’re my sister’s books), but I really wanted them in English as well. I saw this boxset on Bol.com for a bit more than 20 euros and I decided to go for it. It fits perfectly with my version of the Silmarillion (not so much with my Hobbit book, but I am working on it), and they just look so lovely! I really feel like rereading the books now, but first I need to finish the Silmarillion, haha!
- The Iron King by Julie Kawaga – I had heard good things about this series, and I eventually bought the first book. For a moment I’d been scared that I accidentally bought a book further in the series (I had been convinced the first book was called ‘The Iron Fey’), but it turned out to be the right book. It’s on my to-read list for 2014!
- Just One Day by Gayle Forman – I really liked ‘If I Stay’ by Gayle Forman, and I had heard some great things about this book. Even though I am not a fan of romance books, I just wanted to read this book mainly because Willem is Dutch. And the part that I’ve read until now is very promising!
- Tolkien in Drie Minuten (3-Minute J.R.R. Tolkien) by Gary Raymond – I got this from my sister for Christmas, and it’s basically an unofficial biography about J.R.R. Tolkien, the writer of the Hobbit, the Lord of the Rings, the Silmarillion, Roverandom, The Children of Húrin, and so forth. I haven’t read much of it, but the part that I’ve read is really cool. I saw that they had a lot of different books like this one at the store, and there was one about Mythology as well, which I might go and buy soon
- The Medea Complex by Rachel Roberts – I got an email from the author, asking if I wanted to read and review her book. I watched the book trailer, which was awesome, and the summary sounded cool as well, so I said yes. I got an epub, which I will put on my eReader and read as soon as I can (probably somewhere in January).
- Being Human: Bad Blood by James Goss – I bought this book for Tanja’s birthday, because she loves Aidan and I found out that they had Being Human books as well as Doctor Who and Torchwood books. I actually want to read this book as well, not just because it’s got Aidan on the cover, but because the summary sounds awesome.
And of course, I read a couple of books this month. Not as much as I usually do, because I had a bit of a reading slump after DNF-ing City of Glass, but hey at least I read something! The italicized ones are books that I am currently reading.
- Nerve by Jeanne Ryan | ★★★☆☆ |
- City of Glass by Cassandra Clare | ★☆☆☆☆ | Review
- Halloween: Magic, Mystery and the Macabre by Paula Guran | ★★★☆☆ | Review
- Just One Day by Gayle Forman
- The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien
And when I finished Halloween: Magic, Mystery and the Macabre, I also finished my reading challenge for this year! I have officially read 100 books this year! Woohoo! Next year I am going to try to read 125, or 150 perhaps!