Don’t you just love fantasising about what you would say or do if you could ever meet your favourite actor, singer, author, etc? Would you ask for a selfie or an autograph? Would you completely freeze up and act like an idiot? I have had the pleasure to meet a bunch of my favourite celebrities throughout the years, and today I am going to
make you jealous share with you the ten celebs I can’t believe I actually met! Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme organised by The Broke and the Bookish.
Let’s start off with the two authors since that’s basically what this post was originally about.
1. Veronica Roth (author of Divergent, Carve the Mark) – I’ve met a handful of authors, but one of my favourites still is Veronica! She came to my actual hometown, where she signed my Divergent book and complimented me on my Tris cosplay. The next day, she was at an event in Tilburg, where we got to see Insurgent on the big screen and got autographs (this time in Allegiant) as well. I loved meeting her, and I love my signed books!
2. Leigh Bardugo (author of the Grisha trilogy and Six of Crows duology) – For the Dutch release of Six of Crows, the publisher organised a release party with the author! I immediately got tickets when I heard that and ignored my ‘I have to go alone’ anxiety because I would not miss this event! She was so lovely and I ended up buying a second copy of Six of Crows (the beautiful hardcover one with the black edges) and oh my god I am still so happy I decided to go!
3. Diego Luna (Cassian Andor) – Oh god I still cannot believe I actually met my favourite actor. Not even a month before meeting him I told myself I would be lucky to ever meet him, as he lives in Mexico and all Rogue One promotions were over already. Then, he was announced as a member of the international Jury at the Berlin Film Festival, so my best friend and I decided to just go.
4. Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) – Three years ago (has it been three years? wow) a movie called What If came out, starring Daniel. There was a movie premiere at a Pathé cinema in Amsterdam, and shortly before a newspaper announced Daniel would actually be attending this premiere. Tanja and I waited the whole day, met a girl who is now one of our best friends and met Daniel freakin’ Radcliffe!
5. Hugh Jackman (Wolverine) – At the same Berlin Film Festival where we met Diego, we also met Hugh Jackman, who has played Wolverine for the past 17 years. He was so lovely, and while I didn’t manage to get a selfie with him, I did get his autograph, and press people did make some pictures of us, so yay!
6. Alan Rickman (Severus Snape) – A bit more than a year after Daniel’s premiere, we found out Alan Rickman was coming to our country for a movie premiere as well. I wasn’t 100% sure if I wanted to go but ended up just going because I’d probably hate myself if I missed this. Alan passed away a couple of months after his visit, so I definitely made the right choice that day! I will treasure my Harry Potter book for the rest of my life now!
7. Dean O’Gorman (Fili in the Hobbit) – When the Hobbit came out, everyone was in love with Kili, the ‘hot dwarf’, but I totally had a crush on his brother, Fili. In 2012 I found out about an event called HobbitCon which would be held in Bonn, Germany (not too far away from where we lived). Dean would be one of the guests there, and Tanja and I decided to go. We not only met a great majority of the (dwarf) cast of the movies but also met most of our current friends through this convention!
8. Luke Evans (Bard in the Hobbit, Gaston in BatB) – For HobbitCon drei, the organisers made the best announcement you could ever make – Luke Evans would be attending the con. Most people had fallen in love with him after his performance in the Hobbit movies, and basically, everyone fell in love with him after his visit at HobbitCon. We knew then already he was a great singer, and when he was cast as Gaston I knew the new Beauty and the Beast movie was going to be amazing.
9. Billy Boyd & Sean Astin (Pippin and Sam in Lord of the Rings) – Oh my tiny little Hobbits! I was incredibly happy to find out Billy Boyd was attending HobbitCon, where he sang The Last Goodbye and probably made everyone cry. Then, for Amsterdam Comic Con, Sean Astin was announced, who was also really nice and brought my Hobbit-count to 2. (I would love to meet Dominic Monaghan and Elijah Wood though that last one will be more difficult I guess)
10. Manu Bennett (Azog in The Hobbit) – Manu had been announced for HobbitCon once but had to cancel for some reason. Then, Tanja and I decided to go to RingCon one year, and lo and behold – Manu was announced for that convention. I got a picture with him, which is still one of my favourite pictures ever, and eventually got it signed as well!
Yeah, those are the celebrities I still cannot really believe I actually met. Most of these were thanks to conventions, so honestly, if you want to meet an actor you like, and they’re coming to a convention kind of near you – go. Just go. (Of course, if you have the money and time to go, I’m not going to force you to spend money you don’t have! ;))