We’re halfway through the year, and it’s time for another book stats post. I have decided to also add the things I am going to do in the next month as well, meaning the reviews I hope to post, the books I hope to read, the movies I hope to see, etc. So here we go, the book stats of June 2014! I bought quite some books this month, some of them I bought last month but didn’t get until this month, and some that I got. But here are the books I got this month!
Books bought, received
- Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman – I really like Neil Gaiman, I loved his Doctor Who episodes and I loved Coraline. Wasn’t such a fan of his short Doctor Who story but he’s still an awesome author. I heard a lot of good things about Good Omens, so when I saw it at the bookstore I thought ‘why not’. I have to admit, I haven’t read anything from Terry Pratchett yet, but I am planning on doing that soon!
- The Demigod Files by Rick Riordan – I LOVED the Percy Jackson series, and I am definitely going to check out the Heroes of Olympus series soon. But I wanted some more Percy Jackson first, so I bought this little book which has interviews, short stories and some puzzles, I LOVE puzzles!
- Just One Year by Gayle Forman – After the not so satisfying ending in Just One Day (okay I loved that they found each other again, but really, that’s it?), I HAD to get my hands on the sequel. This series is probably one of the few romance-centered books that I absolutely love…
- The Land of Stories: The Enchantress Returns by Chris Colfer – It may be childrens’ books, but I just loved The Wishing Spell. Back when I was still a fan of Glee, I just had to get this book because it was written by Chris Colfer, but in the end I am glad I did it because I really liked the story. Can’t wait to continue reading! A bit strange though, because according to TBD this paperback version won’t come out until next week?
- House of Ivy and Sorrow by Natalie Whipple – A story about witches, always gets me. Ever since Harry Potter, I have been a huge fan of everyting magical, so of course, I had to try out House of Ivy and Sorry, and not just because of the gorgeous cover!
- Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo – I decided to check out this series, mainly because of Lauren Destefano’s (author of Wither, among others) tweets about the series and the author. And because everyone really really loved it. I hope I love it as much as the rest of the world.
- Unremembered by Jessica Brody – A mysterious girl ends up being the only living person after a plane crash, who is she, and why did she survive? The summary made me really curious, and I decided to check it out. The cover looks really beautiful and so far, I am really enjoying the book!
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban DVD – I was at the Blokker (a store in the Netherlands) when I saw this DVD there for only five euros. It was the double DVD with some extra’s, so of course I couldn’t let it stay there. I am busy getting my hands on all the Harry Potter DVD’s, and I currently have two (PS and POA)!
I had some birthday money left, so I decided to treat myself, and I bought The Demigod Files, Just One Year and House of Ivy and Sorrow. Then, I got my salary this year and decided to get another three books; Shadow and Bone, Unremembered, and another one that hasn’t arrived yet. And a couple of days ago, my mum was looking for something in a drawer and found a book cheque which was still valid (in fact, it didn’t have an expiration date at all); so she gave it to me, seeing as I’m the only one in the house that reads (physical) books.
- Heksenwijsheden (Witch Wisdoms, literally translated)
- The Girl with No Shadow by Joanne Harris
- De Moedermaffia (The Mother Mafia) by Kerstin Gier
- Vel Over Been (Bag of Bones) by Stephen King
My mum decided to get all her books together and sell them, because she hardly ever reads physical books anymore and she wanted to get rid of them seeing as there were a lot (more than I have I think). I collected all her books for her and picked out some of them for myself to keep, and it were these. Mainly because I recognized the authors, they were all authors I’d read books of (except for Kerstin Gier, but I am definitely going to read Ruby Red soon). They’re all in Dutch though, but that’s alright. I just got some awesome books!
And as you can see, I also bought two ties, one for my Luna cosplay (the blue/silver striped one), and the other for my Castiel cosplay. And Luna’s butterbeer cork necklace, I was going to try to make it myself, but I couldn’t find the right beads for it, and eventually the materials would have cost me more than this necklace on etsy (it was 9 euros including shipping while the materials would have been 15+ euros without shipping). Now I only need her Spectrespecs (which are already ordered) and my RingCon cosplays are complete!
I also got some Audiobooks from SYNC this month:
- All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill
- Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
- I’d Tell You I Love You, But Then I’d Have To Kill You by Ally Carter
Books read this month
- The Trials of the Core by Michael E. Thies | ★★★★☆ | Review
- Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead | ★★★★☆ | Review
- The Demigod Files by Rick Riordan | ★★★★☆ |
- Bang by Lisa McMann | ★★★★☆ |
- 30 Second Mythology by Robert A. Segal | ★★★☆☆ | Review
- Through a Tangled Wood by Various Authors | ★★★☆☆ |
- Just One Year by Gayle Forman | ★★★★☆ | Review
- Just One Night by Gayle Forman | ★★★★☆ |
- Runelight by Joanne Harris | ★★★★☆ | Review
- To Know Me by Marcy Blesy | ★★☆☆☆ | Review
- House of Ivy and Sorrow by Natalie Whipple | ★★★☆☆ | Review
- Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas | ★★★★☆ | Review
- Unremembered by Jessica Brody
- The Fault in Our Stars movie! I am going to a red carpet premier in my town on Tuesday, and I can’t wait to finally see the movie! Still a bit mad that it came out in the Netherlands a month after America, even though half of the movie was filmed in Amsterdam!
- The Enchantress Returns – I’ve been waiting for over a year to read this book, because I am a stubborn person and I really wanted the paperback. But I’ve finally got it and I can’t wait to see what happens in this book! And wait another year for the paperback release of the third book… Sigh…
- Shadow and Bone – I heard a lot of good things about this book and I finally decided to buy it. I will read it asap (I’ll probably start tonight/tomorrow) and I will also post my review as soon as I can.
- At least three more books, so I will have read five books in July. I’m not sure if I can manage more, seeing as I am taking over someone else’s mail for a couple of weeks in July, but I’ll see what I can do.
- And I am planning on testing out some fanmade Pokémon games, to make a nice post about it. So far, I’ve tried out three games, and I am planning on trying out at least five or perhaps ten! You will see more about this soon!
So that’s June over and done, I hope I will read a lot of awesome books in July, and I hope you will too! Which books did you buy and read this month? Tell me in a comment!